25.2.09

My Thought of the Grammy's


I have thought forever that the Grammy's were just a marketing ploy to get your ass into the nearest record store. Which it is. But this year the Grammy's were surprisingly okay. That may not seem very enthusiastic but it hasn't been better in 5 years. I'm going to break down each section of the Grammy's.

Performances: This year didn't have any amazing performances in my opinion. Maybe Jennifer Hudson considering the circumstances. But other than that their weren't many great performances. Another okay performance was the so called "rap" pack (T.I., Jay-Z, Kanye West, Lil Wayne and M.I.A.). But M.I.A. just looked foolish on that stage. She was a distraction. I love M.I.A. . But she took away from the performance. The worst performances included Neil Diamond, Jonas Brothers/Stevie Wonder and Miley Cyrus/Taylor Swift. Neil Diamond just looked like a joke singing "Sweet Caroline". It's time to leave that song in the closet and never let it come out. Stevie Wonder and the Jonas Brothers were a mess. Stevie did his best with what he was given. But the Jonas Brothers had the nerve to forget the man's lyrics. Even I knew the lyrics and I hadn't listened to that song is years. The Miley Cyrus and Taylor Swift performance would have been great. If Miley Cyrus didn't decide to sing off pitch the whole time. Taylor Swift was pretty good actually. That's all I'm going to talk about the performances.

Award Recipients: This year the Grammy committee mostly chose good recipients for the awards. My highlight of the night was Adele winning 'Best New Artist' and Robert Plant and Allison Krauss winning 'Album of the Year'. Frankly, Coldplay did not deserve to win the awards they did. I know that the Grammy committee thinks Coldplay is the safest option of the night. It's true that they are. But in my opinion they are no more than a crowd pleaser. Them winning 'Rock Album of the Year' was a big joke. At least they acknowledged they aren't real rockers.


Overall Grammy Score: 6/10 (It was a better than average year. More than ever this year great artists were recognized.)

2 comments:

Double Hawk said...

The grammy's are a joke now, Beck won nothing. The Radiohead performance in my opinion was the only thing worth watching of it. =

espo369 said...

That's true. I forgot about the Radiohead performance.