17.3.08

Danity Kane - Welcome To The Dollhouse


It's amazing what MTV can do for your career. One day your average girls and the next your Diddy's newest sensation. When Diddy made up a girl group called Danity Kane everyone went crazy. Their lead single from their first album 'Danity Kane' called 'Showstopper' was a hit and people were eating it up. Now with their second studio album they are trying to capitalize on their mainstream success with big producers like Danja, Diddy and Mario Winans. But even big name producers can't save this album. I admit I watch Making The Band which followed both Danity Kane, Day26 and Donnie J. as they try to make their albums. It was probably the best marketing machine out their and from the sound of the songs they made on the series I thought I would like this album. But man was I wrong. Is it wrong that I had some sort of expectations for a album made by a girl band made by Diddy? Okay, maybe, but even so. This is a first for me and I cannot believe I am going to say this but, the problem with the album is that they try to show off their vocals way to much when the truth is they don't have to. We all know they can sing, but the truth is the best tracks are when they don't belt out the vocals everytime they get a chance to sing. That's why the best song off the album is 'Damaged' it clubby and catchy instead of trying to sound like Mariah Carey on steroids. To me this album was a disappointment not even the collaborations could save this mess.

Rating: 2 / 5

No comments: