11.8.08

Re: Has Rolling Stone Lost Its Touch

(Here is the article in which I am making a response to)

Once I had read this article needless to say I reflected on this. I am a loyal subscriber to Rolling Stone magazine and anxiously await every 2 weeks for the sound of my mailbox opening and closing and sometimes looking for the mailman down the street like a 7 year old child. Here and their I am pleasantly surprised by their reporting and reviews. But all in all only around 20% of their articles/reviews are even worth reading. Which is pretty disappointing. Another complaint about the magazine in the past few years is it has become advertisement heavy rather than article heavy. I actually counted my latest issue and how many ads their actually are and I came up with 58 ads in a magazine with 111 pages. That is more than 1 ad for every 2 pages! I also agree that lately Rolling Stone has been off with several reviews. Such as:

1. N.E.R.D. 'Seeing Sounds' (underrated)
2. Amy Winehouse 'Back to Black' (underrated)
3. Bruce Springsteen 'Magic' (yeah it was good...but 5 stars!)
4. Adele '19' (underrated)

Yeah I have been disappointed with the magazine lately. But I don't think it's lost all its credibility. In my opinion I still think that it is a landmark for a musician to be on the cover. So I won't unsubscribe from the magazine. If it does lose all it credibility I will. So be careful Rolling Stone your going down a slippery slope...

2 comments:

Stephen said...

Hey espo!

Thanks for reading my article. I, too, am subscribed to Rolling Stone, and like you I anxiously await each one. Honestly, most times I tend to agree with what Rolling Stone says, and when I don't, I still can understand why they feel that way. But there are occassions where I think their praise or disdain is uncalled for.

People have claimed they focus too much on film stars... Maybe they use to but I don't see much of it in their new issues. I do wish, however, that they would have more album reviews. A lot of music comes out in a month, and for a music magazine to review ten or so albums is a waste.

espo369 said...

maybe an idea is to instead of having so many advertisements writing more on those pages reviews right?