14.5.08

To Sell Or Not To Sell Out?

It's a controversial issue. Once a song from your favorite band is on let's say the Ipod commercial do you still like them? It's happened to so many artists (Feist, Santogold, The Fratellis...). But if were in their shoes would I blame them? No. I was in this predicament when I heard Santogold song 'Creator' on a beer commercial. I could not believe my ears! My favorite artist sold out! But, it got me thinking after... It's no secret that CD sale's are going down the tubes. And for some artists this is the only way they can survive. So just think about it. Maybe Feist would be dropped from her label if it was not for her Ipod Nano commercial. So yeah we may be mad if one of our discoveries is on a tampon commercial. But maybe if they were not on that tampon commercial they would not make anymore music. I could understand why Santogold did it (after some thought). She did not know if her album was going to sell. So to be safe she used her music in a Beer commercial. Which probably will make her album more successful then without that commerical. Although some artist's are just greedy (Madonna) for using their music in commercicals. But some this is the only way they can survive.

No comments: