19.12.08

Best Albums of 2008

Well it's finally here. It's been an average year in music. But their were a few gems. So this is what this list is for. You will disagree with most of my picks. But I would probably be the same to you. So enjoy the list. Don't take it as seriously if you I missed one of your favorites. (SCROLL DOWN TO GO TO 50)
#1 BON IVER - EMMA FOREVER AGO

This is such a beautiful album. This was the brightest spot this year. It was heartfelt, emotional and most of all lyrically breathtaking. It came from an unknown artist who I had never heard of. This album changed my perspective on music this year. If you do not have this album. Go buy it. Don't even think about it. Just do it. Trust me if it was not for this album. This year would be dim.
#2 HERCULES AND LOVE AFFAIR - HERCULES AND LOVE AFFAIR

This classic dance/disco record was the best in years. It was so abstractly put together that it could have easily failed. Yet it succeeded like I've ever seen a dance record. I think this will be the best dance record of the next decade.


#3 RA RA RIOT - THE RHUMB LINE

This record was the best debut of the year. It was like Vampire Weekend but better. It had a story and it was everything a debut should be. This was an album of maturity from such a young band.

#4 DEATH CAB FOR CUTIE - NARROW STAIRS

I did not immediately enjoy this album. It was a grower that's for sure. But once you listen to the lyrics you will find that this album has some of the best lyrics of the year. Each song was heart breaking to listen to. But it exuded hope.


#5 SANTOGOLD - SANTOGOLD

This was my most anticipated release of the year. It defiantly lived up to it. This album crossed genres in a matter of seconds. Which is not a easy thing to do. But she did it with ease. Like a veteran.

#6 B.B. KING - ONE KIND FAVOR

This was a return to his roots for B.B. King. It had heavy piano and most of all great guitar work from one of the best on the planet. Even his voice is still pretty top notch. I want to be B.B. King when I'm in my 80's.


#7 FLEET FOXES - FLEET FOXES

Talk about putting your influences on your sleeve. This is the closest you will get to The Beach Boys you will get. But this album did that without sounding old. It was something of epic proportions. Rather than another Beach Boys record.


#8 SIGUR ROS - Mð suð í eyrum við spilum endalaust

Even though I don't know what the hell their saying, I know it's something amazing. That's how you know this band is good. That's also why I love this album to pieces.

#9 ADELE - 19

This album was slow to catch on to America. But if you hadn't heard the song chasing pavements before it came out. What kind of indie hipster are you? The album was a mix of Jazz/R&B and it payed off.


#10 PORTISHEAD - THIRD

This was a comeback that no one had seen coming. This album was everything that Portishead should have been. It's a comeback that I want to stay back.


#11 BECK - MODERN GUILT

Who knew Beck had a taste for Psychodelic 70's music. Not me. But with master producer Danger Mouse, it came to be. The title track was one I couldn't stop listening to.

#12 LIL' WAYNE - THA CARTER III

This was the most anitcipated rap album for a reason. It's the best. Lil' Wayne spits like no other on this record. But does it (sorta) tastfully.


#13 ERYKAH BADU - NEW AMERYKAH: PART ONE (NEW WORLD)

This album gave me chills the first time I heard it. It was a commentary on everything that was happening this year. Erykah you've done it again.

#14 ROBYN - ROBYN

It seems Sweeden is the new Indie hotspot of the world. Especially for pop. This record had been celebrated in the gay community. But then was put to critical acclaim. It deserves all of it to.

#15 TV ON THE RADIO - DEAR SCIENCE

This album was actually a step down from their previous record. But it still came on top as a pretty good record. Although I was dissaponted it grew on me.


#16 SHEARWATER - ROOK

Besides Bon Iver, this album was one of the best crafted. It was so simple yet so complex in meaning. It really struck a cord with me.


#17 RAPHAEL SAADIQ - THE WAY I SEE IT

Classic R&B never gets old. "The Way I See It" was the best male R&B record of the year. It had touches of Marvin Gaye and Diana Ross. But he made it his own.


#18 CAT POWER - JUKEBOX

Cat Power came put with another covers album this year. But no one can do a cover album like Cat Power. She makes it her own. While still paying respect to the greats.

#19 MADONNA - HARD CANDY

I know I am going to get heck for this. But this was my guilty pleasure. It had top notch producers and Madonna has never been hotter. Who hasn't listened to "4 Minutes" under their blankets.

#20 VAMPIRE WEEKEND - VAMPIRE WEEKEND

This was the most anticipated debut for the music community. This band is what they call a blog 'sensation'. This record reminded me alot of Paul Simon's "Graceland". That's a big compliment.

#21 MGMT - ORACULAR SPECTACTULAR

MGMT was the hippest band this year. But the differnce between them and other 'hip' bands is they can actually play. This album had so many catchy songs that sometimes they just take control of my mind.

#22 SHE & HIM - VOLUME ONE

This was the cutest album of the year. By a mile. Mainly because the lead singer had little girl vocals. Yet the lyrics weren't as happy. But I still love it.


#23 HOT CHIP - MADE IN THE DARK

Hot Chip is ever growng in their quest to become the best electronic band. Their just about their with this record.


#24 THE COOL KIDS - THE BAKE SALE

I had said that this was going to be the rap album of the year. But it's still pretty good once I look back. It had great production, originalty and amazing rhymes.


#25 GNARLS BAKLEY - THE ODD COUPLE

I had to put this on my list because it had my favorite duo of all-time. So what if this wasn't their best album. I still enjoyed more than most albums.

#26 ESTELLE - SHINE

This record for most broguht back memories of Lauryn Hill. It wasn't as good as Lauryn Hill but it was represting all the female rapper this year.


#27 RANDY NEWMAN - HARPS AND ANGELS

He's become the butt of all jokes. But it doesn't mean he can't make a great album. He proves it with this album. His best in decades.

#28 BEAST - BEAST

I know many of you have never heard of this Canadian band. But give it a try. It's angry and sweet all at the same time.


#29 LYKKE LI - YOUTH NOVELS

She has a baby voice and I love that. Plus she made some of the catchiest albums of the year. By the way, she's sweedish.


#30 MY MORNING JACKET - EVIL URGES

I was dissapointed by this release. "Z" was a classic. Yet I still can't stop raving about it. Weird.

#31 JENNY LEWIS - ACID TOUNGUE

It was nice to see Jenny Lewis get away from Rilo Kiley and pursue her dream. Some country trang.


#32 OF MONTREAL - SKELETAL LAMPING

Kevin Barnes never seeses to amaze me. Hell, I couldn't go on stage in a dress. But with album he encourages it. I have no problem as long as he makes good music. Like this record.

#33 BE YOUR OWN PET - GET AKWARD

This is the type of punk record I like. A hot screaming woman and a great band. Sounds like my thing.

#34 BLITZEN TRAPPER - FURR

I first heard about this band on NPR. Ever since then I have been addicted. Just another reason to listen to NPR.


#35 NICK CAVE & THE BAD SEEDS - DIG!!!LAZARUS!!!DIG!!!

As if you weren't depressed enough this year. Bad ecomonmic times and anther Nick Cave album. End my misery now. Misery never felt so good though.

#36 Q-TIP - THE RENANSCENCE

It's been awhile since Q-Tip released an album and it was worth the wait.

#37 GIRL TALK - GIRL TALK

It never felt so fresh to rehash music from my childhood. Oh! How I miss those days.


#38 NAS - UNTITLED

Controversy aside, Nas has been Hip-Hop's shining spot. He doesn't let up here.


#39 THE ROOTS - RISING DOWN

I've never been a huge fan of The Roots. But this album changed my mind. Especially the political stuff.


#40 THE TING TINGS - WE STARTED NOTHING

See what an iPod commerical can do for you. One minute your in England and the next your on MTV. See kids miracles do come true.


#41 THE RAVEONETTES - LUST, LUST, LUST

I had never been interested in The Raveonettes before they were on some skeezy late night talk show. But I'm glad I did watch that late night talk show.


#42 BRITNEY SPEARS - CIRCUS

Yes I know, Britney Spears on the top albums! Believe it. Her album was so catchy I almost broke my hip dancining to "Womanizer".


#43 KANYE WEST - 808'S AND HEARTBREAK

Once again this another artist who stepped down his game this year. But anything Kanye does I enjoy.


#44 THE RACONTEURS - CONSOLERS OF THE LONELY

I will always prefer The White Stripes. But for now this is a good appetiser.


#45 NINE INCH NAILS - THE SLIP

Everyone loves this album. Do I have to say anything? No.

#46 THE BLACK KEYS - ATTACK AND RELEASE

Danger Mouse just turns some of the most unlikely bands into my new favorites. This is an example.


#47 THE PACK A.D. -FUNERAL MIXTAPE

If you are going through The White Stripes withdrawel. I have the answer. This band.


#48 COLDPLAY - VIVA LA VIDA

I know it's a little cheesy. But Coldplay will always fill my deep and empty piece of my heart.

#49 BEYONCE - I AM SASHA FIERCE

This album had some interesting cuts. I was reluctant. But check it out
.

#50 AC/DC - BLACK ICE

I was expecting more. But it deserves where it is on my list.





So that's it for the Best Albums of 2008. Hopefully next year will be better.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I thought you had a better list than Rolling Stone. I think Bon Iver was a great release

Anonymous said...

i think the jonas brothers should be on!!! what kind of list does not have the jonas brothers>...