30.12.08

My Top 25 Song's of 2008

Sorry I never announced that I would be doing this list. But I think we all need a little surprise in our life. So it took me 2 weeks to come up with this list. I wanted to do a longer commentary section on this then my favorite albums. So it may take a bit longer to read. Go all the way down to go to number 50. Here it goes:




1. Hercules and Love Affair - Blind

It never really dawned on my how much I really loved this song. Until I revisited it this past month. It had everything that I loved. Antony, a great disco rhythm and some mind-blowing production. I think that this song is so hard to listen to the lyrics because of Antony's attention seeking voice. But the lyrics are wonderful to get yourself lost into. Hopefully they will release another album sometime soon. But this cut is a dance-floor killer.

2. Jay-Z featuring Santogold - Brooklyn We Go Hard

This song is so good because it had an amazing sample. Most of all a rapper that doesn't give a f*ck what you think of him. Jay-Z has always had good flow but this cut really shows off everything that Jay-Z could be. I also have to give props to the producers. They did a great job. Yes Brooklyn, you do go hard.

3. Erykah Badu - Amerykahn Promise

This track has been overlooked by too many critics. It reminds me of Diana Ross and the Supremes with more of a political side. I love the saxophones used in the track. It just had everything I wanted from a track this year. It was political and was sung beautifully.

4. Portishead - Hunter

The first time I heard this song I thought it was really off the wall. It had a heavy hip-hop influence and a (sort of) female falsetto. The pauses in the beats are genius. It showed that Portishead not only had great beats. But an awesome singer. To tell you the truth, I'm still scarred of the song.

5. Raphael Saadiq - Sure Hope You Mean It

It proved that the Motown R&B direction that Raphael Saadiq took was a great choice. Especially this track. It had funk, soul and Raphael seemed to really be digging it. I sure did to. It took much thought whether to have him at number 5. But it was a track that I couldn't get out of my head.

6. N.E.R.D. - Everyone Nose (All The Girls Standing In The Line For The Bathroom)

This will probably be unexpected from me. But the hook was so addictive. It didn't make much sense but the whole track was chaos. In a good way. If you had seen them live you would know that the performance was also chaos. It was good to get away from all the down-tempo stuff this year.

7. Adele - Melt My Heart to Stone

This was one of the track's on 19 that had no high production, no Mark Ronson just Adele and her voice. She had said in an interview that it had been hard to sing this song because of a breakup. You can hear that. Her voice trembles at points but it was so passionate.

8. Beyonce - Single Ladies (Put A Ring On It)

"I could care less what you think" Beyonce says in her hit track. But no one had ever seen this side of her. But it refreshing from her slow tracks like "If I Were a Boy". Which let's face it, was whiny. But on this track she's confident and more of a woman's anthem then the trying-to-hard-to-be-a-woman's-anthem lyrics of "If I Were A Boy".

9. Sigur Ros - Gobbledigook

This was the first track off the album. It showed their new direction of the album. It was upbeat, beautiful and uplifting. As was most of the album. As much as I loved their older slow-burning stuff. I had a soft spot for their new direction. Especially this track.

10. Robyn - Handle Me

Her self titled album was the pop comeback of 2008. It was a departure from her Spice Girl singing in her debut. This track showed that she was all grown up, and not some record label push-over. It had a sexy side, confident side and so much more I can't put into words.

11. Dizzee Rascal featuring Calvin Harris & Chrome

No I'm not British. I just listen to a lot of BBC Radio 1 is all. They played this track tons of times. I loved it everytime I heard it. It hasn't made a ripple in North America. But it should. It has an amazing rapper (I love the accent) and a great hook.

12. Kanye West - Heartless

Although the album was a disappointment this track wasn't. It had a great hook and some great production. Although Kanye West's new direction wasn't welcomed with open arms. It works pretty well here. But please Kanye, go back to rapping.

13. Bon Iver - Skinny Love

I was going to put this track at number 1. But I just had so many other favorites. This track immediately struck a chord with me. The lyrics were beautiful and his falsetto vocals were a highlight for me. Who doesn't like this track.

14. Moby - Disco Lies

I was never really a fan of Moby (other than "We Are All Made of Stars"). But this track was a highlight from his album. By far. It had powerful vocals and killer production. Who hasn't heard this song in a club? I think this is Moby's best track ever.


15. Nas - Queens Get the Money

This cut has such a simple piano background. But it is the most effective track on the whole album. It brought me back to those "Illmatic" days. One of the best lines of the year:

"I'm over their heads like a bulimic on a sea-saw"

I don't even know what the hell that means. But it's pretty f*cking cool.

16. Santogold - Starstruck

The whole Santogold album was one of the most consistently great albums of the year. But this track which most don't acknowledge is one of the sickest tracks I've ever heard. The production is out of this world and c'mon it's Santogold. How could you not love it?

17. The Stills - Being Here

This is a great Canadian band that I heard of a few months ago. This song sounds like it belongs on MTV's The Hills or something. It's totally uplifting and I dig it. This band has a certain amount of coolness that is untouchable. (P.S.: I know I didn't include them on my best albums of 2008, but the album is so good.)

18. Solange - Sandcastle Disco

Who says Beyonce is the only talented one in the family is a liar. Beyonce's sister Solange is (maybe) is even better than her big sister. They sound very similar but Solange has a little more of a sense of what she's doing in the studio. Plus, the track is so catchy.

19. Sia - Day Too Soon

Although half the time you can't understand what this Australian singer is saying. It still sounds so beautiful. This track is kind of depressing (I feel like cutting myself depressing). But I think that it is at the same time such a beautiful track. (Check out the video!)

20. She & Him - Why Do You Let Me Stay Here?


How could you not like this cut? It's so darn cute and kind of rocky at the same time. Not a small achievement from their debut album. It sounds like it belongs on an Apple commercial or something. The one thing that I know about this track is it is so catchy.

21. T.I. - No Matter What

If their was an inspirational song this year. Nothing came close to T.I.'s talking about his shortcomings and his jail time. It was a surprise to me because whenever I think of T.I. I think of a hard gangsta. But apparently he has a soft spot in him. Awww!

22. The Ting Ting's - Shut Up and Let Me Go

I know it was featured on an Apple commercial. I don't care! This track is catchy and it has a killer British female lead singer. What else could you ask for? Maybe a donkey. But that's beside the point. The point is catchy is not always a bad thing.

23. Lights - Drive My Soul

Has anyone heard such a cute voice? Not me. But that is just what you could expect from the Canadian singer. This cut was the best from her EP released this year. I know it's kind of girly but the production is pretty good and for those who want an experience, see the video. Literally out of this world.

24. Lykke Li - Little Bit

If your in the indie scene and haven't heard this song, where have you been. Their is even a remix with Lil' Wayne. If Lil' Wayne is in the remix you know the song is crazy good. Not joking, that's how I find good music. Type in Lil' Wayne and see what you get. But seriously, this track is good.

25. The Kills - U.R.A. Fever

This track is crazy. The first time I heard it I thought I was going to have a bowel movement in my pants. The distortion is a great asset to the song. But to tell you the truth, this was the only good song from their album Midnight Boom.



So their is my list. Comment if you have anything to say about it. You could even include you list. See you in 2009!





1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I like most of your choices. Some I would disagree with though. Like why would you put Adele so high. She's good but that good. I don't know.