10.12.08

My Thoughts On The Top 50 Albums by Rolling Stone


So that time of year has come. Most magazine's will be releasing their top albums. But it seems no magazine does it like Rolling Stone. I always love to read their list. So here are my thoughts:

1. TV on the Radio: Dear Science (Great Album, but not a #1 album)

2. Bob Dylan: Tell Tale Signs — The Bootleg Series Vol. 8 (This collection is great...but I don't think a B-side album should be this high)

3. Lil Wayne: Tha Carter III (Best Rap Album of the Year)

4. My Morning Jacket: Evil Urges (I thought this album was just ok. They have done much better)

5. John Mellancamp : Life, Death, Love and Freedom (A great return!)

6. Santogold: Santogold (I think this album should be higher. It has everything to make a great album)

7. Coldplay: Viva la Vida or Death and All His Friends (I liked some of the songs on this album. But overall it's very mediocre)

8. Beck: Modern Guilt (I think this should be a little higher. One of his best albums)

9. Metallica : Death Magnetic (Not the biggest fan of metal...so no comment)

10. Vampire Weekend: Vampire Weekend (A great debut, needs more teeth)

11. Fleet Foxes: Fleet Foxes (A definite throwback to the Beach Boys. Amazing! Should be higher)

12. Guns n' Roses: Chinese Democracy (I think this album was good. Not great)

13. Blitzen Trapper: Furr (A great debut. One of my favorites)

14.Ryan Adams and the Cardinals: Cardinology (I liked this album. I know people who liked this album much more than me)

15. The Black Keys: Attack & Release (The production is great. Maybe a touch too high)

16. Randy Newman: Harps and Angels (A classic voice)

17. B.B. King: One Kind Favor (A return to form. Classic)

18. Lucinda Williams: Little Honey (Not as good as last album. But still beter than most stuff)

19. Erykah Badu: New Amerykah: Part 1 (4th World War) (Should be higher. A great album. Production is top notch)

20. Kings of Leon: Only by the Night (This is too high. This album had a few good tracks)

21. Kaiser Chiefs: Off With Their Heads (I liked this album...but not as much as Rolling Stone)

22. Jackson Browne: Time the Conquerer (I think this album was brilliant, it had a little bit of everything)

23. Conor Oberst: Conor Oberst (This album was too quirky for me)

24. Girl Talk: Feed the Animals (One of the most original albums of the year)

25. The Magnetic Fields: Distortion (Liked this album. Like always very well done)

26. Mudcrutch: Mudcrutch (A very good album. I liked most of the album)

27. Brian Wilson: That Lucky Old Sun (Expecting a little more)

28. The Knux: Remind Me in Three Days… (Very original compared to most rap)

29. Bon Iver: For Emma, Forever Ago (Amazing album, very haunting. Should be higher)

30. Duffy: Rockferry (Sometimes she sounds whiny. But it was something new in Soul)

31. MGMT: Oracular Spectacular (Lots of great tracks. Some were not very good)

32. Jamey Johnson: The Lonesome Song (A little too much country for me...)

33. Ne-Yo: Year of the Gentleman (A little overated. But hes got some killer tracks)

34. Stephen Malkmus: Real Emotional Trash (Amazing album. Guitar is amazing)

35. Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds: Dig, Lazarus, Dig!!! (Should be higher. The lyrics are unbelievable)

36. The Hold Steady: Stay Positive (I don't know what to think about this album?)

37. Nine Inch Nails: The Slip (One of their best)

38. Ra Ra Riot: The Rhumb Line (An amazing band. An amazing CD. Should be higher)

39. Taylor Swift: Fearless (Not my thing)

40. Jonas Brothers: A Little Bit Longer (I liked some tracks. I think they belong somewhere here)

41. AC/DC: Black Ice (A dissapointment)

42. David Byrne and Brian Eno: Everything That Happens Will Happen Today (An ok album)

43. Nas: Untitled (Some meaningful tracks. Should be higher)

44. The Raconteurs: Consolers of the Lonely (Amazing guitar and an amazing CD)

45. Be Your Own Pet: Get Awkward (A great punk album)

46. The Academy Is…: Fast Times at Barrington High (My guilty pleasure)

47. Of Montreal: Skeletal Lamping (Was expecting more from this amazing band)

48. Raphael Saadiq: The Way I See It (I loved this album. Still do. Should be higher)

49. Hot Chip: Made in the Dark (This album keeps growing on me)

50. No Age: Nouns (Some tracks get on my nerves. But overall a great album)

So these were my thoughts on this years list. I think about 75% of the list should be somewhere else. So comment about the list...


(I will have my list released on the 19th of December, so check in)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I thought the list was ok. last year's music was amazing!